Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Preparation

I don't know who said it but I love the quote "If you fail to prepare you prepare to fail".  In many aspects of my life I have taken this quote to heart and it is no different with a month of eating clean.  There are many different factors to take into consideration when preparing for the next 30 days.





Personal Prep:

Is your significant other and/or kid going to be eating clean or will you modify their food?
-Jim was awesome the last time around but I definitely made him rice with our stirfry, pizza, and he had a bun with his burger.  The hardest for me was watching him eat tortillas, seriously.  But he ate almost 90% of what I ate so it made food prep easy.

What is your food weakness?
-Half of avoiding a trap is knowing it's there.  Last time I did this all I wanted was a cheese quesadilla and knowing that I kept cheese and tortillas out of sight in the beer fridge.  Know your weakness and have a strategy to avoid said items.  Also important is knowing what time of day you are most likely to binge.  For me it's between when I get home from work and dinner.  Apple slices with Almond Butter are my savior.

How do you feel about yourself and food?
-I know so many women (and yes it's most all women) that try to punish themselves and their bodies for eating poorly.  STOP!  Its ok.  You are not a better or worse person because you did or did not eat a cupcake.  Be kind to yourself over the next 30 days and don't associate food with self worth.  Just eat good food.


Food Prep:

How do you want to plan your meals?
-In my opinion the best way is to find a cheap calendar or use pepperplate.com (they also have an app) and set up your weekly menu.  I make a menu for the week of usually 7 dinners and then we eat leftovers for lunch.  Breakfasts are usually the same throughout the week.  Know what days you are busy and be honest about how much time you can commit to making dinner.  Some nights I'm fine with 30-40 mins others I just want to do 5 minutes of prep and let the oven or slowcooker do the work.

What is your best day of the week to go grocery shopping and do food prep?
-I advise going to the grocery store only once a week during this program.  You'll save money and there will be less temptation to grab something off plan.   After going grocery shopping I will usually spend a little time doing prep.  Also I am not afraid of shortcuts and definitely pick up sauceless chopped frozen veggies and frozen strawberries.  

How do you want to document what you are eating?
-So I know it sounds weird but I didn't count calories or measure portions last time around and it was incredibly freeing.  I ate when I was hungry and ate as much as I needed to feel full.  I'm a fairly active person and I was hungry a lot.  I documented what I ate for the first 20 days so that I could track what food I was eating and to make sure I was getting enough fat.  I just used a simple diary app but a notebook or word document would work just as well.

I feel like that covers most of the prep I needed.  Is there anything additional you think should be considered in prepping?

No comments:

Post a Comment