Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day Eighteen - Project 333

It seems to me that anytime I begin to over haul and gain control over one part of my life I feel liberated and start thinking of other ways I could improve my life.  The great thing about going through the Whole30 is that it is really a minimalist approach to eating.  Eat these healthy things, don't eat these unhealthy things.  So depending on what's in season you have variety but your options are slimmed down.  Once I adjusted to what was ok it made meal planning and prep actually easier.

Taking this approach I started looking around at different minimalist websites and trying to see what else I could keep variety but slim down options.  That is when I stumbled upon an amazing blog.  Project 333 is a sub-blog (not sure that is even a thing) of Courtney Carver at Be More With Less.  Project 333 basically is a venture to live the next 3 months with only 33 items of clothing.  When I first read that I was floored.  Only 33 items (not including bras, underwear, socks, etc.)!!!

So I went over to my closet and immediately began pulling clothes out and laying them on the bed.  In about 30 minutes I had filled two bags of clothes for friends and discarded everything that was too ratty.  Next I went through and separated out my warm weather clothes from my cold weather clothes and put all cold weather clothes in a bin for storage.  After all that was done I was left with close to 33 items of clothing that actually fit, was in good condition, and was my style.

One thing I discovered was I definitely have a very small color palate that I wear.  Black, blue, white, gray, dark green, and soft pinks are the colors that I look good in and have the most items in.  So if I'm looking at purchasing any new items I know to stick to these colors.  Neons just don't work on me except if I'm hiking and need to be visible.  :)

So I've been working with that closet for a few weeks now and I feel it has made me more stylish and I spend less time getting ready.  Also it's shown me where I have gaps in my closet, like I need a pair of jean shorts and a nice white tee-shirt.  It has been a fun experiment and definitely something I want to keep up for a while.

What do you think?  Could you get by with only 33 items?

2 comments:

  1. I really like this idea! After hauling around too much stuff on a 3 week long vacation we have been thinking right along the lines of 33 items!
    Thanks Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, google capsule wardrobe. Amazing ideas for travelling lightly! Glad you liked it! :)

      Delete