Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day Nineteen - Snack Pack

Sometimes you are between meals and hunger strikes.  Sometimes you are on the go and too busy to stop for a conventional meal.  And sometimes you just need something to munch on, like while watching a movie or on long drives.  When any of these scenarios happen it is important to have quick access to healthy and filling snacks, as this is when you are most likely to fall victim to a snickers.

So what out there is a healthy paleo snack?  (Note I said paleo.  Some of these are a bit gray on how Whole30 they are with a little bit of soybean oil or high salt content.  You are an adult though and I trust you can make a decision on what you feel is best.)

1.  Sweet Potato Chips
-I discovered these last month and I've never been a potato chip fan but they are awesome!  Crunchy and salty to satisfy those cravings.

2.  Guacamole
-Make sure it's just avocados and other clean stuff.  Apparently some people put mayo in guac which is both gross and weird.  Right?  Use sweet potato chips or baby carrots for dipping.

3.  Fresh Salsa
-In my opinion Aldi's fresh salsa is the best.  Use sweet potato chips for dipping.

4.  Almonds
-Surprisingly filling and I think they have a delicious flavor.  I like to mix them with walnuts.  I keep a baggie in my purse and at my desk.  Great for quick snacking.

5.  Baby Carrots
-They take a long time to chew so they are great for long road trips.  Not great for movies though.  Too crunchy!

6.  Almond Butter and Apple Slices
-This is such a decadent treat.  Seriously try it.  Almond butter isn't that great on its own but once you dip an apple slice into it magic happens.

7.  Unsweetened Applesauce
-Another great portable snack for when I need a quick blood sugar boost, like during a hike or 10:30 am at work.

8.  Pickles
-I used to hate pickles, now I can go to town on a jar.  Just make sure not to get ones with sugar.  Mmmm....so good after a serious workout.  Salty and delicious.

9.  Sunflower Seeds
-I know there is a lot of salt in sunflower seeds but they are the best snacky food during a long road trip or a very suspenseful movie.

10.  Larabars
-I already touch on these but they are great to keep on you for a quick snack that will fill you up and boost your energy.

11.  Dried Apricots
-I know you're supposed to avoid dried fruits but I love gummy candy.  Apricots are a great alternative to gummy candy and they are one of the few dried fruits I've found without added sugar.



What's your favorite clean snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment