Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day Two - Expect Problems and Eat Them for Breakfast

Before starting this plan I would eat a whole wheat english muffin with homemade jam and a cup of coffee with french vanilla creamer for breakfast.  It was so yummy (and for all those who've had my jam you know what I'm talking about) but by about 9:30-10 I was hungry.  By noon I was hangry.  (Hangry is when you are grouchy because you are hungry and we've all been there.)

All that has changed since I started eating a healthy mix of protein, natural carbs, and fat for breakfast with a cup of black coffee.  Now I feel full, alert, and am less cranky mid-morning at work.

So what does breakfast look like?

Black Coffee or Green Tea
- You can use coconut creamer in your coffee but I suggest trying black for a week.  I really enjoy the flavor now and don't even miss the cream and sugar.

Eggs
-Lots of eggs from a good source.  I'm lucky in that I have a fresh egg delivery service (Thanks Sara!) but if you aren't as lucky as me try to purchase eggs that are from free range chickens.  The omega-3 content is much higher and trust me they taste way better.

Avocado
-Slice and enjoy!  I like to fold sliced avocado with sauteed mushrooms and spinach into an omelet.

Sweet Potato Homefries
-Cube and fry up with coconut oil or olive oil.  I will be posting a sweet potato and ham hash recipe at some point so stay tuned.

Fruit
-Apples, Pineapples, Bananas, Strawberries, the list is endless.

Nuts
-A walnut and almond mix is my favorite and the cheapest.

Chicken Stir-fry
-I know this is weird but I really like it for breakfast.  Also any dinner time leftovers can be consumed for breakfast.

If you are missing oatmeal, cream of wheat, or any other hot breakfast.  Try this quick and delicious recipe.  I haven't tried making it the night before and heating in the morning but I assume it would work fine.

Banana Nut Meal
Makes one serving. Adapted from here.

Ingredients
-1/2 to whole ripe banana (I think unsweetened applesauce would work too)
-Little less that 1/2 c. of mixed nuts (I like almonds and walnuts but pecans would be wonderful too!)
-1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
-dash of vanilla (also maple extract adds a nice flavor)
-pinch of cinnamon

Directions
-Process nuts in food processor till coarse meal develops.
-Add sliced up banana, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon to nut mixture.
-Process till smooth.  Just a couple of pulses will usually do the job.
-Pour out onto bowl and either eat cold or put in microwave for 30 secs to 1 minute for hot.

If you haven't got much time in the morning these are my favorite quick breakfasts:
-Handful of mixed nuts and an apple or banana
-Two hard-boiled eggs and a cup of unsweetened applesauce (I usually hard-boil 6 eggs at the beginning of the week for a quick snack or breakfast.)
-Scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms (I saute up a big container of spinach, mushrooms, onions, etc at the beginning of the week and then just throw in the pan with two scrambled eggs.  Takes roughly 2 minutes in the morning.)
-Smoked salmon and avocado (Wish I could eat everyday.)

Hopefully this helps anyone that was feeling stumped about what to eat for breakfast!

Thought of the Day:

"Lighthouses don't go running all over an island looking for a boat to save; they just stand there shining." - Anne Lamott

What is your favorite Whole30 breakfast?  Are there any recipes you want to try?







8 comments:

  1. Ahhh, black coffee. I love it! At the moment, I am sitting on my front porch enjoying some of Oregon's finest that my parents brought back for us from their recent adventure to that beautiful west coast state. I made some hummus yesterday thinking that that would be a good snack food. When I was done (palm to forhead) I realized garbanzo BEANS were in the legume family. Now I must find someone to pawn it off on :) Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I know the whole legume thing threw me on my first round but the reasoning is a lot of people have digestive sensitivities to legumes without even knowing it. I'm sure you won't have a hard time pawning it off. :) Also that cup of coffee sounds amazing! Wish I was on the porch drinking a cup with you!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely making the Banana Nut Meal for breakfast this morning. I never thought I'd like black coffee either but having drank it now for the last few months off and on, It's yummy. Great post Lizzie-pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed your banana nut-meal breakfast!

      Delete
  3. Hey Lizzie! I'm copying down the Banana Nut Meal in prep for tomorrow. Sounds delicious! I have a question concerning grains: Is corn a grain or veggie? Is it only a grain when it is processed into flour, meal or flour? Is buckwheat or kasha a grain or a seed? I'm going to hard boil some eggs right now! Thanks so much for the inspiration, Dear One! So sorry for those perfectionist tendencies I so diligently instilled in you. Glad you like green peppers after all! As for weight watchers 8oz of unsweetened Almond Milk is 1 point as opposed to 6oz of 2% milk which is 3 points. What a terrific bang for the buck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corn is considered a grain for the Whole30. The only place I would be fine with eating it is a nice cob of fresh sweet corn but other than that try to avoid it. Buckwheat and kasha are technically seeds but would be put in the grain category. Hope that helps. Glad you like the almond milk!

      Delete
  4. It hasn't always been easy to love my body. I find the more I work to improve myself, the more I appreciate my body for what it can do and obsess less about what it looks like in a bathing suit or the pinch of fat around my mid-section. We're taught to self-loathe. It's a beautiful thing to love what you have and seek new ways to improve upon the masterpiece that is ever woman's body.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we are taught to self loathe. How many times have we all sat around with a group of girls complaining about our bodies? The scene in Mean Girls where they are complaining about their cuticles, thighs, etc. captures it best. :)

      Delete