Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day Four - Philly Cheese-Less Steak Salad and Contentment & Compassion

This is another great weeknight dinner recipe.  In case you didn't know it, I love my slow-cooker!

Philly Cheese-Less Steak Salad

Ingredients
-2 to 4 lb beef roast
-1 c. beef broth (the Rachel Ray brand broth is clean)
-3 green peppers
-2 onions
-mushrooms
-mixed greens

Husband Friendly Ingredients
-sliced provolone cheese
-hoagie rolls

Directions
1.  Put roast and broth in slow-cooker and set on low for 8 hours.
2.  When you are ready to eat slice and saute peppers, mushrooms, and onions in large frying pan.
3.  Pull roast out of slow-cooker and shred with two forks.
4.  When peppers, mushrooms, and onions are cooked add ~1/4 to 1/2 cup of liquid from slow-cooker to deglaze pan.
5.  Add shredded beef and mix together.
6.  Serve on top of mixed greens.

Husband Friendly Directions
1.  Turn broiler on high.
2.  Place foil on baking sheet and put opened hoagie rolls on sheet.
3.  Top one side of roll with beef, peppers, and onions.
4.  Place a slice or two of provolone cheese on top of beef mixture.
5.  Broil for ~2 mins to melt cheese and toast one side of the bun. (Watch to make sure it doesn't burn!)


Makes 6 servings at $18.58 ($20 for HF) for a total of $3.10 ($3.33) per serving.


I recently read Leo Babauta's beautiful pieces on his two life principles: contentment and compassion.  I love how simple and yet incredibly profound the articles are and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Love you all and hope your day is going great!












6 comments:

  1. Wow Lizzy, I really like where you are taking this blog. Those are two super awesome concepts for we as Americans especially to ponder. And I like how he mentions happiness as more of an up and down emotion rather than an even keel type of lifestyle. Very cool. Look forward to reading more of what you find! I have a really great magazine called Origin that you may like. It's got so many really cool articles about these types of topics Liz! Have a super content and compassionate day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. Danger! I liked how he presented happiness as well. Everyone always says they want to be happy but I think that content is really what they mean. I'd love to check out that magazine sometime. :)

      Delete
  2. This. Looks. So. Damn. Good.
    I love this idea, but any tips on how to get your boyfriend to cook these dinners for you? Or any dinner actually? Or how about do anything? I know, I know, food is the way to a mans heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was damn good! As far as boyfriend manipulation I am no expert. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Lizzie! I made a similar dish for dinner using leftover steak, onions, portobellas, and red, green and orange peppers for an Oriental pepper steak dish. Instead of soy I used liquid smoke, Worchester sauce and salt. Not exactly clean eating but no soy. made brown rice with tumeric and tuscan garden oil from Olivers for Dad. We both enjoyed. Still eating Greek yogurt and honey in coffee and tea! :-) and chocolate. Sigh!! But I had a paleo-breakfast!

    A word on contentment: We live in a culture where "new and improved" and "bigger, better" or "the grass is greener" reign supreme; not being satisfied but always wanting more. Dad and I talk about this quite a bit. We all fall prey to this at one time or another and must diligently be on guard. Contentment is a choice whereever we are and wherever we are at. OXOXOX Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not about perfection mom, it is about moving in a healthy direction. Honestly I just want you to eat more healthy fats! Good point about contentment. We are sold that this product will make us happier, strong, beautiful, etc. but it is only in contentment with ourselves that we will see the ads for what they are.

      Delete