Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day Nine - Speides Chicken with Veggie Skewers

This weekend has been a whirlwind already!  I've had an awesome time hanging out with a lot of great people, however this has lead to not the cleanest eating.  I've tried to make sure that the core of my meals has been as clean as possible but I definitely ate a piece of cake on friday (birthday party) and saturday (graduation party).  The funny part was that I was hungover from friday's piece of cake on saturday morning.  Literally hungover from a piece of cake!  I'm taking a breath today and starting out with some delicious protein and veggies to help stabilize my blood sugar and a lot of water.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend too!

Recipe of the day is one of my favorites for grilling.  If you live down by the Binghamton area or have been to the NYS Fair you know this one for sure!

Spiedies Chicken

Ingredients
-3 to 4 chicken breasts*
-1/3 c. olive oil
-1/4 c. lemon juice
-1/4 c. white vinegar
-2 garlic cloves minced
-1 Tbsp. dried parsley
-1 Tbsp. dried basil
-1/2 tsp. oregano
-1/2 tsp. garlic salt
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions

1.  Cut chicken into ~1 inch cubes.
2.  Mix all other ingredients together and put in large ziplock bag or casserole dish, add chicken.
3.  Let chicken marinate for 24 hours.
4.  Put chicken on skewers and grill till done.

*I also like to use thighs and drumsticks.  Just marinate and grill.

Makes 4 servings at $10 for a total of $2.50/serving.


Veggie Skewers

Ingredients

-zucchini
-peppers
-onions
-mushrooms
-whatever other veggies you want!

Directions

1.  Chop veggies into uniform pieces and skewer.
2.  Grill till done.

Price depends on what veggies used.  :)

Note:  I always do all the same veggies or meat on a single skewer.  This is because different veggies and meat take different time to cook.  For example if you put peppers on with chicken, the peppers would be burnt by the time the chicken was done.  

How's everyone's weekend going?  Anyone else have a hangover from eating something off plan?  

1 comment:

  1. Off plan icecream was awesome! How about the Cornell chicken barbeque recipe that is the staple of every Western New York volunteer fire dept. fundraiser. Let me know, Lizzie if you would like me to post on your blog. xoxoxoMom

    ReplyDelete